A good control framework allows a church or charity to function effectively, unhindered and operating on the right side of the increasing weight of regulation; it is not intended to be a straight-jacket. This paper looks at the controls most relevant to churches and small charities.
- Controls covering church income;
- Controls and the recovery of Gift Aid;
- Controls over church expenditure;
- Controls and the payment of gifts or honoraria in churches;
- Controls over restricted funds;
- Controls and the role of trustees;
- Financial controls and the use of budgets in churches;
- Using reserves as a financial control;
- Financial controls and bank accounts;
- Controls over fixed assets;
- Controls over investments;
- The importance of 'team' as a financial control.