We help you give and we strengthen the causes you give to

Generosity is our cause

Submenu title


church building

Church properties: Do we need land registration?

Does your church or charity need land registration? 

An increasing number of property transactions are eligible to be registered with HM Land Registry under the Land Registration Act 2002. This not only includes transfer of property, but also any mortgage or lease of seven years or more. Eventually it will also be necessary to register leases of three years or more. 

This briefing paper will help you explore land registration in greater depth, taking various considerations into account, such as:

  • Voluntary registration
  • Complications
  • Charity Registration
  • Land Registry searches
  • Mortgages and charges
  • Leases
  • Boundary disputes
  • Action
  • Other options