Remember Ladybird books? You’d need to be of a certain age to have bought them first time round although they’re experiencing a resurgence of late for a more ‘mature’ market. One of their series —‘how it works’ — tackled everything from the Hovercraft to Vinyl Records and their purpose was to help their readers get to grips with the essentials.
Just imagine they’d produced a book on support-raising. What might it have said to help readers grasp the basics? Are you sitting comfortably? Then we’ll begin.
- God is pleased when we give and we receive well. He says so in the Bible. (2 Corinthians 9:6-7; Philippians 4:18)
- God has special plans for each of us – some people ‘go’ and some people ‘send’ but we’re all part of his plans. (Romans 10:15)
- The people who ‘go’ and do God’s work full-time (or most of the time) are helped by those who ‘send’ and support them. God likes it when it works this way. (Numbers 18: 20-21)
- God wants us to share with each other. He wants us to share the work He has given us to do with others, so they can share in it too. They become our partners. God also wants us to share what we have so that together we grow stronger and His work grows too (Philippians 1: 4-5; Philippians 4: 15, Acts 2:44-45)
- Sometimes we feel awkward about receiving but that can get in the way of God’s plans.
- God is the giver of all good things and he trusts us to look after everything he gives us well (including money). This is called being a good steward. (Matthew 25: 14-30)
- We need to learn how to do this by listening to God and learning from the example of others.
- Part of looking after God’s money is making sure you stick to the law and pay your taxes on time. (2 Corinthians 8:21)
- It’s not all about the money. God gives you people to support you and not just with their money.
- Remember to say thank you to God and the people he picks out to help you. They are part of his plans too.
Want to know more? Why not come on one of our training days? Finance for Ministry gives you an overview of all the aspects of raising and living on a support basis. Support-Raising for Ministry goes in depth into the ‘whys’ and ‘how to’s of support-raising.